logo logo

Building Permits

Building Permit 2014.jpgAbout Building Permits

A building permit is your formal permission to begin the construction, demolition, addition or renovation on your property.

As part of the building permit process, Toronto Building staff must review your plans to ensure they comply with the Ontario Building Code, local Zoning Bylaws, and other Applicable Law.

Building permits regulate the type of construction allowed in a community and ensure that minimum building standards are met. The permit process protects the owner’s interests, the community, and helps to ensure that any new construction is appropriate and safe.

For more information please check the City of Toronto Website please click here

Summer 2016 Youth In Policing Summer Program.

Attached is a copy of the current job ad for you to distribute to your students. Students can find more information and the application by going online at www.torontopolice.on.ca/yipi.

Following is some general information about the program:

The Youth in Policing is a joint partnership between the Toronto Police Service, the Toronto Police Service Board and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services.  The program is a paid position and employs students between the ages of 15-18 years within priority identified neighbourhoods.

The youth work within various units and divisions.  While at work youth have the opportunity to see daily police operations from an internal perspective, interact with police officers on a personal level and gain hands on job experience.  Students are also taken on tours to various police facilities, namely the Marine Unit, Mounted Unit, The Police Dog Services etc.

There are three Youth in Policing Programs that run throughout the year; summer, fall and winter. The programs run as follows:


  • Summer Program – July to August
  • Fall Program – September to December
  • Winter Program – January to April

The Summer Program runs throughout the summer months during the day from Monday – Friday and students work a 35 hour week.  The Fall and Winter Programs are part-time after-school programs that include evenings and some weekend work and students work 6 hours per week.

Currently they are in their recruiting phase for the 2016 Summer YIPI Program and are providing brief presentations during high school assemblies and at various community programs.

Students will only be able to apply up to Friday, January 29, 2016.

Click here for more info.

June 18, 2015 – 2015 Scarborough Trillium Garden Awards

Do you have an outstanding, beautiful garden in your back yard or in your neighbourhood?  A garden that is the envy of would-be ‘green thumbs’?

Then why not nominate the garden for the 2015 Scarborough Trillium Garden Awards – a garden contest tradition in our community run by the Agincourt Garden Club, Scarborough Garden & Horticultural Society and Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation.

June 6, 2016 – Resurfacing driveways by asphalt and/or paving stones

Are you thinking of resurfacing your driveway or replacing the asphalt and/or paving stones?

In order to do so, you will need to contact Transportation Services at the Scarborough Civic Centre in order to obtain a Paving Permit. You may contact Transportation Services at 416-396-7505 or visit them at Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Drive, 2nd Floor, Scarborough, Ontario.

May 29, 2016 – New Green Bin Rollout – Update

We are in the Fifth week of the rollout of the new Green Bins to the residents of the Scarborough community, and this is to provide you with a brief update on this implementation. 

As of Wednesday May 24, 2016, City of Toronto Staff have delivered new Green Bins to approximately 23,000 customers and have collected approximately 20,300 “old” Green Bins for reuse and recycling.  They are still on track to complete the bin deliveries in the Scarborough District as scheduled by September 2016.

City of Toronto residential property owners to receive updated property values

Do YOU own property in the City of Toronto?

You’ll be receiving an updated Property Assessment Notice in spring 2016.

Every four years MPAC conducts a province-wide Assessment Update and mails Property Assessment Notices to every property owner in Ontario. In 2016, MPAC will update the assessed values of every property in Ontario, to the legislated valuation date of January 1, 2016.

May 15, 2016 – Hydro One Vegetation Maintenance

This month Hydro One will be completing vegetation maintenance work along the transmission corridor in our neighbourhood, between McNicoll Avenue and Steeles Avenue.

This work is critical to ensure a safe and reliable supply of power to Toronto Hydro customers and to minimize the risk of power outages. It also allows crews safe access to perform required repairs on our equipment and keeps the corridor safe for public use.