I would like to take this opportunity to extend my best wishes to members of the Buddhist faith in Canada on the occasion of Vesak Day.
May 19, 2019 – 105th Anniversary of the Pontian Genocide – 105η Επέτειος της Γενοκτονίας των Ποντίων
It is with a deep sense of reverence that I commemorate, with members of the Pontian community, the 105th Anniversary of the Pontian Genocide.
We pause to remember an atrocity perpetrated by the Ottoman Empire – the deaths of three hundred and fifty thousand Greeks between 1914 and 1922. We also remember the 1.25 million individuals who were deported.
During and in the aftermath of World War 1, the Pontian Greek population of the Ottoman Empire faced persecution, massacre, expulsion and death marches from the historic region of Pontus, the southeastern Black Sea province of the Ottoman Empire, by the Young Turk administration.
I am the grandchild of Greek Asia Minor refugees. My grandparents were forced to flee to Greece.
Members of the Greek community have felt the horror of this black chapter in the world’s history throughout the decades. We pay homage to the victims and express solidarity with the survivors and their descendants.
This is a day we solemnly acknowledge as we work toward a better future for all mankind.
105η Επέτειος της Γενοκτονίας των Ποντίων
Με μια βαθιά αίσθηση ευλάβειας ας τιμήσουμε, με τα μέλη της Ποντιακής κοινότητας, την 105η επέτειο της Ποντιακής Γενοκτονίας.
Ας σιγήσουμε, να αποτίσουμε φόρο Τιμής στη μνήμη μιας φρικαλεότητας, που διαπράχθηκε από την Οθωμανική Αυτοκρατορία – τους θανάτους τριακοσίων πενήντα χιλιάδων Ελλήνων μεταξύ 1914 και 1922. Να μνημονεύσουμε επίσης τα 1,25 εκατομμύρια άτομα που απελάθηκαν.
Κατά τη διάρκεια και μετά τον Α ‘Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο, ο Ποντιακός Ελληνικός πληθυσμός της Οθωμανικής Αυτοκρατορίας αντιμετώπισε διωγμούς, σφαγές, απελάσεις και θανάτους από την ιστορική περιοχή του Πόντου, της νοτιοανατολικής Μαύρης Θάλασσας, επαρχίας της Οθωμανικής Αυτοκρατορίας, από τη Διοίκηση των Νεότουρκων.
Είμαι το εγγόνι προσφύγων της Μικράς Ασίας. Οι παππούδες μου αναγκάστηκαν να φύγουν στην Ελλάδα.
Μέλη της Ελληνικής κοινότητας έχουν αισθανθεί τη φρίκη αυτού του μαύρου κεφαλαίου στην παγκόσμια ιστορία, καθ ‘όλη τη διάρκεια δεκαετιών. Αποτίνουμε φόρο Τιμής στα θύματα και εκφράζουμε την αλληλεγγύη μας, μαζί με τους επιζώντες και τους απογόνους τους.
Αυτή είναι μια ημέρα που αναγνωρίζουμε επίσημα, καθώς εργαζόμαστε για ένα καλύτερο μέλλον για όλη την ανθρωπότητα.
May 17, 2019 – Councillors Karygiannis and Cressy call out the Ontario Government on cuts to Emergency Medical Services
TORONTO – Jim Karygiannis, Councillor for Ward 22, Scarborough-Agincourt, and Joe Cressy, Councillor for Ward 10, Spadina-Fort York, today, held a press conference with respect to the ramifications of the Government of Ontario’s plan to freeze funding for Emergency Medical Services (EMS). Mr. Karygiannis and Mr. Cressy were joined by Mike Merriman (EMS Unit Chair for CUPE Local 416) and Eddie Mariconda (President, CUPE Local 416).
Toronto councillors and the union representing Toronto paramedics condemned the Ford government‘s move to freeze funding for emergency services, saying the city is already facing a shortfall.
In a press conference on Friday morning, Mike Merriman, Toronto Paramedic Services unit chair for CUPE Local 416, said the funding freeze by the provincial government, which accounts to $3.8 million for services, is equivalent to around 60 fewer paramedics in the city.
“They (paramedics) cannot keep up with the ever-increasing call volume and the lack of staffing. We’re approximately 300 paramedics short as of today and we needed a mass infusion of paramedics yesterday,” Merriman said.
“Things are that bad. It’s taking us a lot longer to get to calls, and I truly believe public safety is at risk. People’s lives hang in the balance.”
WATCH: Toronto paramedics, councillors slam cuts by Ford government, call for reverse course
Last month, the province notified the City of Toronto that this year’s land ambulance grant funding would remain unchanged from 2018. Toronto Paramedic Services said the funding freeze would result in a $3.8 million shortfall or cut.
Jim Karygiannis, councillor for Ward 22, Scarborough-Agincourt, said he’s calling on Premier Doug Ford and his cabinet to rescind the move as it greatly affects response times for paramedics.
“If there’s a crisis in North Etobicoke and we need to get somebody to respond there, it will take an extra 15 per cent longer. That’s totally unacceptable,” Karygiannis said.
He urged residents to pick up the phone and personally call the premier. Karygiannis gave the premier’s personal phone number at the press conference.
Joe Cressy, councillor for Ward 10, Spadina-Fort York, added that councillors are sounding the alarm because they know less funding will make things worse, if not dangerous.
“This province, not only are they cutting funding from public health and impacting our ability to keep people healthy, they’re now cutting funding of $3.8 million to paramedic services,” Cressy said. “So they’re not helping us prevent diseases in the first place, and if you get sick, they’re making it harder for us to respond to help people.”
Last month, Toronto Mayor John Tory announced that Toronto Public Health was advised that the province would be slashing approximately $1 billion in funding over the next 10 years.
It is with a deep sense of reverence, that I join with you to remember the tens of thousands of men, women and children who were killed during the Tamil Genocide in Sri Lanka.
I would like to take this opportunity to extend my best wishes to members of the Canadian Somaliland community on the occasion of Somaliland Independence Day.
May 2019 Neighbourhood Email Blast
Spring is here! With the arrival of warmer days in Toronto, my office has pieced together a Ward Report detailing upcoming community events, construction projects and general goings-on around Ward 22, Scarborough-Agincourt. Please take a moment to read the latest Ward Report at the following link: http://karygiannis.net/wp/2019/05/09/may-9-2019-ward-report-2019/ . A physical copy of this Ward Report is in the mail to your household to be delivered next week.
Community Environment Day – Sunday, May 19th from 10:00 am to 2:00pm at the Bridlewood Mall South-East Parking Lot (2900 Warden Avenue).
Ward 22 Scarborough-Agincourt Community Environment Day
Mark your calendars for the first Community Environment Day of 2019! This year’s first Community Environment Day will take place on Sunday, May 19th from 10:00 am to 2:00pm at the Bridlewood Mall South-East Parking Lot (2900 Warden Avenue).
Community Environment Days provide an opportunity for residents to dispose of hazardous waste, electronics and home health-care waste. Residents are also encouraged to bring household items and non-perishable food items for donation. Free compost will be available for pickup at this event, while supplies last (limit of one car trunkload per household).
I want to take this opportunity to salute mothers everywhere on this Mother’s Day, May 12, 2019.