May 16, 2020 – COVID-19 Updates – COVID-19每日更新 – 2020年5月16日
COVID-19 Updates – May 16 2020
I would like to wish each of you a happy and safe Victoria Day Weekend. Unless the City, Province or Federal Governments make a critical announcement, I will be resuming the Updates on Tuesday, May 19, 2020.
A must read The paragraphs below were written by a nurse who works with ventilators Click here…
Please take a moment to pass along this message to your family, neighbours and friends. If you would like to sign someone up for our e-mailing list, please send me their e-mail addresses at email@example.com .
COVID-19 cases reported in Toronto
- 8,386 total cases
- 129 new cases since May 14
- 428 hospitalized with 95 in ICU
- 672 deaths
- 6,189 recovered
Full details from Toronto Public Health
City of Toronto
- Update on use of parks
- City parks are important for respite, serenity, and as an escape to nature and green space. While park amenities remain closed, many activities are permitted.
- At this time, City parks are open for the following activities:
- Walking, running, and biking in parks and ravine green spaces and along beaches, trails, and boardwalks
- Resting or reading a book in green space
- Picnicking in the park or sitting on a blanket and enjoying the park setting with members of your household while remaining two metres away from others
- Walking dogs on-leash
- Fishing with a licence
- Boating, kayaking and canoeing
- While those who are not ill are encouraged to use parks, provincial orders and the City bylaw on physical distancing remain in effect, requiring people who are not from the same household to maintain a physical distance of two metres in a park or public square.
- Fireworks over the long weekend The City of Toronto has suspended issuing firework vendor’s permits, permitting the sale of fireworks, at this time. Family fireworks may be discharged on your private property without a permit on Victoria Day. Family fireworks displays/discharges must still comply with the City of Toronto Fireworks by-law and the requirements to be aware of your surroundings and not discharge fireworks where they may be a nuisance, or pose a risk of fire or injury or damage to any person or property. Fireworks are not allowed to be discharged in City parks by members of the public. Please contact 311 to report any illegal sale or possible misuse of fireworks.
Government of Ontario
- There was no update from the Province of Ontario today.
Government of Canada
- The Prime Minister announced up to $100 million to help the Canadian Red Cross meet increased demand due to COVID-19 and to support future floods and wildfire relief efforts.
- The funding includes up to $41 million to address immediate COVID-19 needs, with over $15 million committed to enhance the Red Cross’ response capacity and $25 million to support public health efforts.
- The Prime Minister also announced that July will see the yearly increase in the Canada Child Benefit, which helps families keep up with the costs of living and raising their children.
- The Government of Canada will work with the United Way/Centraide Canada, the Canadian Red Cross and the Community Foundations of Canada to disburse the $350 million Emergency Community Support Fund to community-based organizations.
- Community-based organizations will be able to apply for funding from these organizations to support a variety of activities. For a list of activities, please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/news/2020/05/support-for-community-organizations-helping-canadians.html
- Government of Canada will provide $15 million in additional funding to support women entrepreneurs through the Women Entrepreneurship Strategy(WES).
- The money will go directly to select organizations that are currently WES Ecosystem Fundrecipients and will help women entrepreneurs through the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19每日更新 – 2020年5月16日
- 市政府目前已暂停发放允许烟花供应商出售烟花的许可证。纵使没有许可证，你的家用烟花仍能从你的家中发射。发射家用烟花时必须依从《多伦多市烟花条例》的要求、了解你的周遭环境和不能造成滋扰、可以造成的火灾危险或人生和财产伤害。 市民不得在市内公园内放烟花。 如要报告任何非法销售和不当使用烟花的个案请联系311。
- 加拿大政府将与United Way/Centraide Canada, Canadian Red Cross 和 Community Foundations of Canada 合作向社区筹划拨款3.5亿加元。
- 社区组织将能够向这些组织申请资助，以支持它们的各项活动。有关的活动列表请浏览: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/news/2020/05/support-for-community-organizations-helping-canadians.html