May 11, 2020 – COVID – COVID-19 Updates – COVID-19每日更新 – 2020年5月11日
COVID-19 Updates – May11, 2020
Today, I joined the Agincourt Rotary Club in making donations of face shields to support healthcare workers in our seniors’ and long-term care homes. I distributed face shields to Shepherd Lodge, Tendercare Living Centre, Carefirst and Mon Sheong Court. Special thanks go to Agincourt Rotary Club for their generous donation. Read More…
Yesterday, I was also able to distribute free, pre-ordered face masks and hand sanitizer to over 350 constituents, most of whom brought donations to the Agincourt Community Services Association (ACSA) Food Bank. For more details click here..,.
I want to thank the people of Ward 22 for their generosity. The Food Bank received donations of over $3,200.00 and 4 tonnes of non-perishable food stuffs. Your generosity will help feed those in our community who have been hardest hit by the COVID-19 crisis.
For more pictures, and to watch for the going-ons in the Ward 22 community duirng COVID-19, please look at the COVID-19 Community Corner at: http://karygiannis.net/wp/category/covid-19-community-corner/.
Please take a moment to pass along this message to your family, neighbours and friends. If you would like to sign someone up for our e-mailing list, please send me their e-mail addresses at firstname.lastname@example.org .
National Nurses’ Week
Today marks the beginning of National Nurses’ Week. It is a time for us to appreciate the work that they do in keeping us healthy and well cared-for.
Although there are signs of normal life returning to the City of Toronto, I want to remind everyone that the battle against COVID-19 is not over. The best way we can honour our nurses this week is to stay safe and healthy. Stay home, limit any excursions to essential needs only and practice physical distancing.
Our nurses and frontline workers are still in need of PPE and sanitizers during this time, and I am still encouraging everyone to make donations whenever possible. Please take a look at https://www.shn.ca/news/helpourheroes/ for a list of items needed in our hospitals and consider making a donation to help our frontline workers in the fight against COVID-19.
City of Toronto
- The City announced the launch of ShopHERE, a new initiative to help Toronto’s independent businesses and artists set-up their online stores with the help of volunteer web developers, business students and corporate partners. The free program provides businesses one-on-one support with building an online store to start selling their goods and services right away. The ShopHERE program is open to any business or artist that meets the eligibility requirements.
- The City of Toronto has made an investment of $2M to the Toronto Rent Bank to support approximately 800 additional low-income households to remain housed. Program changes have also been implemented to be more responsive to the needs of low-income households during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- For more information on how to apply to the Rent Bank, residents may call 416-397-RENT (7368), Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. More information about the Toronto Rent Bank is available on their website.
Government of Ontario
- The Government of Ontario is providing $30 million to build a transportation system that will help keep goods moving and to better connect communities across the province.
- The 2020-21 Connecting Links program will support 24 municipalities across the province to help them build, repair or replace municipal roads and bridges that connect two ends of a provincial highway through a community or to a border crossing.
- Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves will begin opening today with limited access. Recreational activities will be restricted to walking, hiking, biking and bird-watching. Access is free until the end of the month.
- The Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development and its health and safety association partners have now released over 80 sector-specific health and safety guidelines, including guidelines for curbside pickup and delivery services
- Business owners should use these guidelines to develop reopening plans that work for their business and protect workers, customers and the general public as the province prepares for the gradual reopening of the economy.
Government of Canada
- The Prime Minister announced an expansion to the business credit availability program for small and midsized companies in Canada. Export Development Canada and the Business Development Bank of Canada will work with the private sector lenders to free-up access to capital for Canadian companies.
- The Federal Government is creating a large employer emergency financing facility. This will provide bridge financing for Canada’s largest employers. The basic principles of the bridge loans are:
- To avoid bankruptcies to protect millions of Canadian jobs
- To be fair. Financing will be available to across all sectors and consistent across the country
- To hold companies accountable. The companies accessing these funds must maintain jobs and investments, respecting collective agreements and pension obligations, and environmental and climate commitments
- There will be strict regulations on dividends, share buybacks and executive compensation
COVID-19每日更新 – 2020年5月11日
- 多伦多市政府宣布启动 ShopHERE 计划，这个志愿人士网络的目的是计划利便开发人员，商科学生和私营公司的协助帮助多伦多的独立企业和艺术家建立在线商店。这项免费计划将为独立企业提供了一对一支持，以帮助他们建立了在线商店以及销售其商品和服务。这项服务将惠及所有合资企业或艺术界人士。详情请浏览： 点击这里
- 多伦多市已投资200万加元在Toronto Rent Bank上面，以支持约800个低收入家庭的房屋需要。同时，市政府亦实施了新措施，以更有效地满足家庭的需求。
- 有关如何向Toronto Rent Bank申请补助的详情，居民可在周一至周五上午8:30至下午4:30致电416-397-RENT（7368）。 更多详情请参阅他们的网站
- 劳工，培训和技能发展部和与政府合作的健康与安全协会现已发布了80多个针对特定行业的健康与安全指南 (包括路边接送服务指南)。
- 总理宣布政府将扩大拿大中小型企可业备用信贷计划。 加拿大出口发展局和加拿大商业发展银行将与商界领袖合作，以释放更多资本在加拿大公司上面。
- 对公司负责要对得到的信贷负责。 获得这些资金的公司必须维持员工的职位和继续投资，并尊重集体协议和退休金义务以及兑现保护环境的承诺。