logo logo

February 19, 2016 – Councillor’s Motion for Dedicated Funds for Sheppard Subway

The 2016 City of Toronto Budget is comprised of Capital and Operating Budgets and

Property Tax Rates and Related Matters.

 

During discussions on Property Tax Rates and Related Matters, I, again, fought for the Sheppard Subway and transit issues, for residents who live north of Hwy 401.

 

I introduced a Motion to amend Executive Recommendation 3 by deleting Part b:

 

  1. adopt the additional tax rates set out below in Column V, which rates will raise an additional special general tax levy of $15,852,455 and reflect the 2016 rate increase for the purposes of funding the City’s share of the cost of construction of the Scarborough Subway, in accordance with Council’s direction through Clause CC39.5 adopted by City Council on October 8, 2013. 

and replacing it with the following new Part b:

  1. adopt the additional tax rates set out below in Column V, which rates will raise an additional special general tax levy of $15,852,455 for the following purposes: (i) 90% of which will be dedicated for the purposes of funding the City’s share of the cost of construction of the Scarborough Subway, and (ii) the remaining 10% of which will be dedicated to transit improvements in Wards 39, 40, 41, 42.

Unfortunately, the Motion to Amend Item was defeated.  Only Councillor, Raymond Cho, Ward 42, Scarborough Rouge-River and I voted in favour of the change.

Trackback from your site.